You might be unsure how to get started if you’ve never rented storage units before. There are many resources available to help you make informed decisions and choose the right space for your storage needs. This storage guide will help you learn about the types and prices of self-storage.
Self-storage. What is it?
Self-storage can be described as an extension to your shed or garage. It is a safe, secure, and clean space that you use to store your belongings in a storage facility. iStorage is one of the many storage companies that rent self-storage units. You only pay for what you use. Self-storage is an option for anyone looking to get rid of clutter or need extra space during a move. iStorage.com self-storage facilities are rapidly expanding and growing.
Self-Storage: Reasons to Rent
Self-storage can be used for many reasons. It is not just about having too much stuff. Common life events may require storage for short- or long-term purposes.
Common Reasons Why People Rent Self Storage:
- Seasonal storage – Many people store lawn equipment, winter clothes, recreational vehicles and holiday decorations in storage during the offseason to conserve space.
- Remodeling – A home project can take several weeks and cause a lot clutter. You can store everything until you finish your project.
- College storage – Students who don’t want to take their belongings with them home during the summer can store them in a nearby storage unit.
- Moving – Self-storage can be used to temporarily store furniture, clothes, and other household items while you search for a new home.
- Deployment to the military – Military personnel can store their belongings in a safe location during deployment. This is also true for military families who are frequently on the move.
- Extra vehicle storage – Storage doesn’t have to be for furniture or boxes. Many iStorage storage units can store boats, motorbikes, cars and other motorized vehicles.
Which size storage unit do I need? Different storage sizes and types
The most important part of the process is choosing the right size storage unit. You don’t want more storage than you need and you definitely don’t want too much space for your belongings. There are a few easy ways to figure out the best size for you, or at least give an idea.
Begin by making a list of all your belongings. Start by taking inventory of your belongings. Count the number of plastic storage containers you’ll be using, and any furniture or appliances. Note unusual shapes or items that are difficult to stack. A professional storage specialist can recommend the right size for you once you have completed an inventory.
You can also determine the size of your storage area by stacking your belongings on your garage or driveway in a similar fashion to how you would store them in a storage room. To determine the size of your pile, use a tape measurer and compare it with other storage units. You can also use a tape measurer to determine the dimensions of your pile and compare it with available storage units.